Beth Kissileff has contributed pieces to many publications, including The Atlantic, The Tower, Tablet, the Forward, the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Haaretz, Religion News Service and Hadassah. Her complete resume (PDF) is available for download, with selected publications below.
- What’s not there: Soul Searching in Israel. First chapter of Questioning Return excerpted in Tablet magazine (http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/217749/whats-not-there-soul-searching-in-israel) November 11. 2016
- Willing Donor (Jewish Fiction.net)
- The Rov’s Legacy (Zeek Magazine)
- Counterfeit (Michigan Quarterly Review 53:3)
- I’m Not Here for Myself (Michigan Quarterly Review 57:5 Winter 2019)
- Tragedy and Trust. Next Page, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, January 10, 2021.
- Reflections Two Years after the Pittsburgh shooting. December 9, 2020. The Wisdom Daily.
- Bound in the Bond of Life, blog post reflecting on memorialization for Katz Center at the University of Pennsylvania. November 23, 2020.
- Objects tell stories, blog post for Museum of Jewish Heritage. October 27, 2020.
- Two years after my husband survived the Tree of Life shooting, Christian Century October 27, 2020.
- Lessons for Elul. September 16, 2020. The Jerusalem Post, opinion.
- How I found Meaning in a very different Tisha B’Av this year. The Wisdom Daily, August 7, 2020.
- Tips from an art colony on sharing co-working spaces during the pandemic. The Wisdom Daily. Posted April 1, 2020.
- Telling the Whole story Pittsburgh Post Gazette November 17, 2019.
- Prophets of Today: Therapists. 929. October 30, 2019.
- Five Years Ago Naftali Fraenkel was murdered. His mother looks back on a journey from grief to joy. Jewish Telegraphic Agency, posted June 28, 2019
- What I wish had been said at the funeral of young suicide victim. http://thewisdomdaily.com/what-i-wish-had-been-said-at-the-funeral-for-a-young-suicide-victim/ The Wisdom Daily August 2, 2018
- Can we train ourselves to be Happier? The Wisdom Daily. Posted July 10, 2018
- How One Faith Group fights abuse one School at a Time. The Forward. Posted June 6, 2018.
- Writing in Roth’s Room at Yaddo. New York Jewish Week/ Times of Israel. Posted May 29, 2018.
- Philip Roth and the Rabbis. The Wisdom Daily. Posted May 28, 2018.
- Philip Roth Dead at 85. https://www.jta.org/2018/05/23/top-headlines/philip-roth-enfant-terrible-turned-peerless-chronicler-american-jewish-life-dead-85. Jewish Telegraphic Agency May 23, 2018.
- There’s no place for lingerie jokes in Professional settings. http://thewisdomdaily.com/theres-no-place-for-lingerie-jokes-in-professional-settings/. The Wisdom Daily, May 17, 2018.
- What I want my kids to Know about the Holocaust. The Wisdom Daily. April 17, 2018.
- MLK’s Message: Unity is a Way out of Slavery. The New York Jewish Week/Times of Israel. April 5, 2018.
- A Book list to prepare you for Jewish Learning in Israel or at home. The Wisdom Daily. March 19, 2018.
- A List of Inspiring Books by Jewish Women for International Women’s Day. The Wisdom Daily. March 8, 2018.
- Just as Queen Esther, McDormand Wielded Power by Realizing She has it...The Wisdom Daily. March 5, 2018.
- New York Times Journalist Bari Weiss on how Judaism guides her. The Wisdom Daily. October 30, 2017.
- How Frankenstein Became Human and we can too. The Wisdom Daily. October 16, 2017
- The Red Hills of America. Op Ed in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. August 19, 2017.
- The Radical subtext of The Wedding Plan New York Jewish Week, posted June 13, 2017. http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/the-radical-subtext-of-the-wedding-plan/
- The Woman who Connects Seder Food to Jewish History. (The Wisdom Daily, April 5, 2017)
- The ‘Unofficial Hogwarts Haggadah’ is what is missing from your Seder (Kveller 3/22/17)
- Why I ‘Thank” The Anti-Semitic Thugs Who Vandalize Jewish Cemetaries. (Forward 3/3/2017) and in print Forward 3/10/ 2017.
- A Desecrated Cemetary Ended 150 years of Confidence in America. (Haaretz, 3/2/2017)
- 100 US Religion Scholars Write Scriptural Letters to Trump’s Administration for its First 100 days (Tablet 1/23/2017)
- Sisterhood of Salaam Shalom founder Sheryl Olitzky Forward ( 12/30/2016)
- Shining a Light on Difference. New York Jewish Week, posted December 13, 2016.
- How will Rabbis lead congregations through post election America? http://forward.com/news/354270/how-will-rabbis-lead-congregations-through-post-election-america/(Forward, News, 11/11/2016)
- How are Rabbis consoling congregants following Trump’s triumph? http://forward.com/news/national/354286/how-are-rabbis-consoling-congregants-following-trumps-triumph/?attribution=home-top-nav-section-1-featured-article-text-2(Forward, News, 11/11/2016)
- Charming and Inspiring Stories from Hillary Clinton’s Oldest Supporters http://forward.com/sisterhood/352922/charming-and-inspiring-stories-from-hillary-clintons-oldest-supporters/(Forward, Sisterhood blog, 10/28/2016)
- An English- Yiddish Dictionary for the Ages (http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/213044/a-yiddish-english-dictionary-for-the-ages) The Scroll at Tablet (10/7/2016)
- Celebrity Chefs share Rosh Hashanah recipes (http://www.jta.org/2016/09/28/life-religion/celebrity-chefs-share-their-rosh-hashanah-recipes) Jewish Telegraphic Agency, 9/28/2016; syndicated and reprinted in multiple outlets)
- ‘Small, still voice’ at the 9/11 museum (Religion News Service, 9/9/2016)
- Mondays with the Mikvah Lady, a short profile of Malka Markovic (Tablet, 10/27/2015)
- A site for secular and religious Israelis to study Bible together, about 929 website (The Tower, 6/4/2015)
- Israel Story, about the four producers of the Israeli version of “This American Life” radio program (The Tower, 5/11/2015)
- This Haredi woman wants your vote, on Be’zechutan, the first Ultra Orthodox women’s political party (The Tower, 2/10/2015, and aMosaic editor’s pick, 2/12/2015)
- Israeli writers around the globe (The Tower, 1/5/2015, and a Mosaic editor’s pick, 1/12/2015. Translated to Hebrew and published in Alaxon Magazine, January 2015, and Haaretz, March 2015)
- Women who teach women in war and peace (The Tower, 10/7/2014, and a Mosaic editor’s pick, 10/14/2014)
- Admissions 105: Mastering Rejection (Reform Judaism, Fall 2014)
- A visit to Jerusalem to see the things that are no longer there, a personal essay (Tablet, 8/2014)
- Sacred and Profane: Philip Roth, One Time Enfant Terrible Gets Seminary Honor (Jewish Telegraphic Agency, 5/22/2014; syndicated by the Forward, the Baltimore Jewish Times, and the Times of Israel; referenced in the New Yorker blog)
- The Sunburnt Faces tour of Tel Aviv: A day with Shimon Adaf (Tablet, 5/2/2014)
- Where Denominations Lose their Meaning, essay and reporting on secular yeshivot and mechinot in Israel (The Tower Magazine, 5/2014)
- In Israel, Creating New Ways to Observe Yom Hashoah (Tablet, 4/28/2014)
- Re-Dreaming Jerusalem. A Woman Rabbi in Israel: Interview with Tamar Elad-Appelbaum. (CJ Magazine, Spring 2014)
- Do American Jews Really want to Listen to Israelis? (Haaretz Online, 2/24/2014)
- Datlash vs. Ex-Frum: Memoirs in Israel and America (Tablet, 2/24/2014)
- Advice for the college tour(NYTimes.com blog The Choice, 6/6/2013)
- The Man I Married(Tablet, 5/31/2013)
- Jonathan Ames does Israel (Jewish News Service, 5/20/2013)
- Why Can’t Yeshiva Alumni follow Horace Mann Blueprint? (Forward, 5/6/2013)
- Rejection is a process (NYTimes.com blog The Choice, 4/30/2013)
- Judaisim: The World’s Best Memory Palace (Moment Magazine, September-October, 2012)
- Women Join Talmud Celebration (Tablet, 7/30/2012)
- Car culture and autonomy for kids (NYTimes.com blog Motherlode, 6/27/2012)
- Ready for the market (Tin House blog, 3/9/2012)
- Correspondent’s Course: Writing advice about Writing advice (Tin House blog, 1/6/2012)
- Errand into the (Jewish) Wild (Hadassah-Brandeis Institute eZine, 3/2011)
- Who says Jews don’t have soul, (Moment Magazine, 2/7/2011)
- Making the Truth One’s Own: Why Jews should care about Reynolds Price (Forward, 1/2011)
- An Open Letter to Amy Chua (Kveller, 1/2011)
- Taking a Cold Shower in Philip Roth’s Room (Forward, 1/22/2010)
- A Tribute to Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi (The Jerusalem Report, 1/2/2010)
- Reading Island of the Blue Dolphins With My Daughter (Double X website of Slate, 9/30/2009)
Reviews and author interviews
- Ilan Stavans Reflects on His New Anthology. The Wisdom Daily. November 12, 2020.
- Nathan Englander’s New Book Hearkens back to its religious roots. The Wisdom Daily May 14, 2019.
- Essential Reading: Fiction. https://www.christiancentury.org/article/books/essential-reading-fiction The Christian Century. May 9, 2018.
- Dr Elisha Waldman on End of Life Care for his Jewish and Arab Patients. http://thewisdomdaily.com/dr-elisha-waldman-on-end-of-life-care-for-his-arab-and-jewish-patients/. The Wisdom Daily May 3, 2018.
- ZUckerman Unbound in our Town. Review of Lisa Halliday’s Asymmetry. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 22, 2018.
- A Reading list to Transport you to Israel in Honor of its 70th Birthday. The Wisdom Daily. April 11, 2018.
- The Collection of Haggada Masterpieces that lets us learn by looking. Wisdom Daily. March 29, 2018.
- Bringing Daf Yomi to Life and Vice Versa. Review of Ilana Kurshan memoir If All the Seas Were Ink. Tablet, September 5, 2017
- What we eat connects us. Lilith blog, April 7, 2017.
- The Haggadah that uses magic to make the seder accessible. The Wisdom Daily. Posted March 28, 2017.
- Conversation in Dialogue between Shimon Adaf and Lavie Tidhar about Art and War (+972 Magazine, 5/7/2016)
- The Mysteries of Moses, a review interview of Chanan Tigay’s Lost Book of Moses (Tablet, 4/22/2016, and a Mosaic editor’s pick)
- “Painting the Town,” a review of The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothchild (Jerusalem Post, 4/7/2016)
- Review and interview with Geraldine Brooks on The Secret Chord, a book on King David (Jerusalem Post, 12/11/2015)
- “Giving Words Body and Soul,” a review and interview with author Aviya Kushner of The Grammar of God (Jerusalem Post, 9/18/2015)
- The Many Songs of David, an interview with Rabbi David Wolpe on David: A Divided Heart (University of Pennsylvania Gazette, September-October 2015)
- Review and interview with Aviya Kushner’s The Grammar of God (Tablet, 9/9/2015)
- Review of Patrick Modiano’s Pedigree (Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 12/13/2015)
- Review and interview with Avivah Zornberg on her new book on Numbers, Bewilderments (Tablet, 3/9/2015)
- Interview with Mark Polizzotti, translator of Nobel Laureate Patrick Modiano (Jewish Book Council, 3/6/2015)
- Review of Honeydew by Edith Pearlman (Jerusalem Post, 2/20/2015)
- Easing the Pain with Literature: Interview with Shimon Adaf, (Forward, 2/20/2015, p. 2)
- Eight New Israeli Writers You Need to Read Right Now, (Forward, 5/22/2014)
- Fridays with Zalman: The Spiritual Wisdom of Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi, a review of The December Project (Tablet, March 2014)
- Review of Netanya by Dror Burstein (Jewish Book World, Spring 2014)
- Two Books Explore New Perspectives on the Talmud, With a Focus on Women, a review of Tova Hartman’s and Ruth Calderon’s books (Tablet, 2/26/2014)
- The Afterworldly Imagination of Ofir Touché Gafla (The Tower, 2/5/2014)
- Interview with Meg Wolitzer, author of The Interestings (Jerusalem Post, August 2013)
- Paris When it Fizzles, a review of Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick (New York Jewish Week, 11/19/2010)
- Review of Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick and interview with author (Jewish Book World, November-December 2010)
- The Biblical Heroine who can Teach us the Secret of Redemption. The Wisdom Daily, February 1, 2021.
- Jewish law should guide us on Election day. The Forward, October 18, 2020.
- The Wisdom of an Ancient Text. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Next Page. March 15, 2020.
- People are interested in what I have to say. JOFA blog. March 9, 2020
- The Women who Made Talmud Study less intimidating. JOFA Blog January 15, 2020
- Sometimes All you can do is Scream. http://thewisdomdaily.com/biblical-wisdom-for-current-days-when-words-fail-its-time-to-scream/The Wisdom Daily July 19, 2018.
- What the Passover Story can teach us about inclusion riders. Lilith blog. March 23, 2018.
- The makings of a biblical heroine. http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/the-makings-of-a-biblical-heroine/ The JOFA Blog. Posted December 8, 2017
- Still Holy? Does Judaism believe in exonerating holy men for their crimes? JOFA blog at New York Jewish Week/Times of Israel. Posted November 6, 2017.
- How to Read Ecclesiastes what we read on Sukkot and the Inspiration for the Title of many classic novels. Tablet. October 4, 2017.
- Rabbi Akiva taught of the transcendence of Ideas (The Wisdom Daily May 9, 2017)
- Reading the Megillah for Purim Tikkun(March 9, 2017)
- Megillah 101: Purim Lessons for the Trump era Lilith (March 9, 2017)
- Sometimes, All it Takes is a Miracle. http://thewisdomdaily.com/sometimes-miracle/ (The Wisdom Daily, October 31, 2016)
- It’s no Accident the final commandment is to Write http://www.jewishbookcouncil.org/_blog/The_ProsenPeople/post/its-no-accident-the-final-commandment-is-to-write/(The Prosen People blog of the Jewish Book Council, 10/23/2016)
- Can We Learn from Jonah’s Happiness? http://www.thelehrhaus.com/timely-thoughts/2016/10/20/can-we-learn-from-jonahs-happiness (The Lehrhaus October 20, 2016)
- Root yourself in the Text. A piece on what 614th commandment might be. (Hadassah-Brandeis Institute eZine, 11/2013)
- Shabbat: Our Tool for attention literacy (The Jewish Writing Project, 11/23/2012)
- Snakeskin and Veils: Garments in Genesis (HBI eZine, 7/2012)
- “Commentary on Talmud Sotah 5a” (Sh’ma Journal, 4/2012)
- “Six Word Memoir.” Six words about being Jewish, included in print and online anthology. (Smith Magazine, 3/2012)
- “How to Make Miracles”(Hadassah Magazine, 12/2011)
Commentary on Torah portion of the week
- Change is slow – but its coming. Parshat Shmot. Religion News Service, January 11, 2021
- Vayeshev: Finding Light, Making Change. December 10, 2020. My Jewish Learning.
- Vezot Habracha, What we Need from a Leader When it is time to let go. Jewish Week, October 7, 2020.
- Beha’alotekha – No Milk, No Trust – June 12, 2020. Lehrhaus.
- Beha’alotekha What do we learn about the value of female leadership from Moses? JOFA blog, June 11, 2020
- Author page at 929 with weekly commentary , updated each Thursday, from October 29 2018 to November 16, 2019
- Swallowed up by Bad Leaders. Korach. New York Jewish Week, July 2, 2019.
- Genesis 25 Striving to see and be seen. 929.org https://www.929.org.il/lang/en/author/36663/post/37913
- Genesis 21 Sarah’s Entering the Covenant https://www.929.org.il/lang/en/author/36663/post/37426
- Genesis 16 Hagar: The Bible’s First Theologian 929 website. https://www.929.org.il/lang/en/page/16/post/36714
- VAyigash: Joseph Educates his Brothers. Portion of Vayigash(Genesis 44:18-47:27) New York Jewish Week Posted Dec 19, 2017.
- Deuteronomy: When Moses has Nothing to Lose (New York Jewish Week 7/ 28/17)
- Emor The Omer: Time can Create (New York Jewish Week 5/ 12/17)
- Miketz Joseph’s Dizzying Descent and Ascent (New York Jewish Week 12/30/16)
- Hayei Sara: Accepting a Reality we did not Anticipate (My Jewish Learning 11.23/2016)
- Shoftim: From Rehem to Rahamim (My Jewish Learning, 9/9/2016)
- Beha’alotekha: Growing Pains and Rebellion (New York Jewish Week, 6/24/2016)
- Vayehi: Joseph’s Power: Reading Backwards and Forwards (New York Jewish Week, 12/22/2015)
- Noach: Who is a Hero? (Jerusalem Report, 10/29/2015)
- D’varim: Making Sense of History (New York Jewish Week, 7/21/2015)
- Tazria-Metzora: The Feedback Loop (New York Jewish Week, 4/24/2015)
- Vayera: Ways of Seeing and Asking (New York Jewish Week, 11/4/2014)
- Re’eh: Rav Kook’s Different Dimensions (New York Jewish Week, 8/29/2014)
- Naso: The Blessings of Love and Jealous (New York Jewish Week, 5/30/2014)
- Hayei Sara: Rebecca and Veiled Understandings (New York Jewish Week, 10/23/2013)
- Ki Tetzei: “Accept Responsibility” (Jerusalem Report, August 2013)
- Shoftim: Sorry future King George Alexander Louis: Jewish Kings are leaders beyond the accident of Birth (New York Jewish Week, 8/10/2013)
- Vayigash: Joseph’s Emotional Rescue (New York Jewish Week, 12/20/2012)
- Ki Tavo: The Farmer and the First Fruits (New York Jewish Week, 9/5/2012)
- Bamidbar: The Time to Pay Attention (New York Jewish Week, 5/25/2012)
- Toldot: Whose Child is this? (New York Jewish Week, 11/28/2011)
- Noach: Noah’s Art of Aftermath (Jewish News Service, 10/24/2011)
- Ha’azinu: “Behind the Song” (Jewish News Service, 9/28/2011)
- Emor: “The optimism of the Omer” (New York Jewish Week, 5/9/2009)
- Ki Tetzei: “How a Jewish teacher became a heretic” (Jewish News Service, 9/13/2008)
Articles relating to October 27, 2018 attack at my synagogue New Light which rented space at Tree of Life in Pittsburgh
My Pittsburgh Synagogue is still Grappling with the Fragility of Life. November 3, 2019.
Jewish Telegraphic Agency
New York Jewish Week
Front page article – In Pittsburgh, Grief Takes a Holiday https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/inpittsburgh-grief-takes-a-holiday/. March 27, 2019
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Religion News Service
In the wake of the Pittsburgh shooting, finding a new Jewish voice at Shavuot Posted June 7, 2019.
Times of Israel
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/thoughts-on-hanukkah-5779/ December 9, 2018
http://thewisdomdaily.com/the-problem-with-treating-ordinary-people-like-heroes/ September 19, 2020.